Monday, November 4, 2013

Times UP! IMAZ Taper Time

Amazing to think it has been a year since I signed up for my first Ironman.  At the time, it seemed so far away and I had plenty of time to get ready.  The reality is I did have plenty of time to get ready but that time went by very fast.

I am now less than two weeks away from a goal I never thought possible.  No more training, per se.  Taper time.  I heard from a friend today, Mary Knott, that at this point there is nothing more you can do to improve prior to the race - there IS, however, a lot you can do to regress or make things worse!  Indeed tapering is a time to be confident in your past training, avoid the temptation of 'hammering it' and getting some well deserved rest.  Above all, avoid injury.

Friends, I have put in the time.  I have done multiple 100 mile rides.  Multiple 2.4 mile swims and one marathon.  I KNOW I can do each of the segments by themself.  The challenge, of course, is doing them back to back and choosing to have fun at the same time.

To be honest, I waiver from confidence to terror which is one of the reasons I do this sport.  You learn a lot about yourself and what makes you tick.  You learn and re-learn, sometimes.  That is part of the joy of doing something difficult.


Wish me luck....

DT

1 comment:

  1. I have this on my calendar and will be watching as much as I can. You are well prepared and will have an amazing day! What's your bib number?

    ReplyDelete