Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness - REVIEW


I just finished my latest book off the bookshelf, "Eat & Run" by famed ultramarathoner, Scott Jurek.  Overall, the book was good and fairly entertaining.  Not like some of the others I have read like "The Secret Race" or even Chrissie's book.  Scotts was more simple.  More down to earth.  Not a lot of scandal or intrigue.  Some good stories about races - nobody can deny this guy is one of the greatest endurance athletes in the world today.  His story is remarkable in a plain way - which made it interesting.  His upbringing in Northern Minnesota resonated with me, in the sense that I made Minnesota my home for more than five years.

The root of Scott's story, though, revolves around his diet - he is a vegan - which is unique in the endurance athlete world.  Throughout the chapters he builds up, not only in his ability to race and win incredible long distance contests, but at the same time he builds up his advocacy for eating vegan.  He sprinkles in some interesting vegan recipies at the end of each chapter.  He has some soul searching throughout the book - trying to recapture what made him desire to run.  All of it was interesting and entertaining and made for a good read.

DT

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, sounds good. I've been looking for the next read. Not that I'm going to do an ultramarathon any time soon!

    In your own way, your journey has been just as unlikely. Who meeting you for the first time at Skystone would have predicted you would be getting dialed in for a great day doing Ironman in 6 months or so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen brother. You too! I remember when we both were jockying to get in line first to get a heaping plate of buttered chicken (haha). Now it's more like almonds and chia seeds!

    ReplyDelete